April 22nd, 2019
The Protostar team analyzed HIPAA breaches reported submitted to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in March to summarize the types of breaches of unsecured protected health information (PHI) affecting 500 or more people.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Email breaches ranked in first place with 473,114 people’s PHI affected.
- Network Server breaches ranked second with PHI of 352,895 people breached.
- Other breaches came in third with 28,216 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Electronic Medical Record ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in March with 2,200 breaches.
- Laptop was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 2,739.
- Paper/Films was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 5,843.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot as the most common breach type in March with an 12 reported breaches. Email has taken the top spot in this category for 11 of the past 13 months.
- Network Server came in second 7 breaches.
- Other and Paper/Films came in tied third with 3 reported breaches each in March.
Email regained the top spot in both categories for this month’s HIPAA Breach report.
Much as it was in 2018, the data clearly shows Email remains the most vulnerable attack vector for HIPAA breaches. Contact us today to see how our HIPAA compliance service can help keep you off our next breach report.